Wednesday, July 21, 2010

East of Colby, WI

Doug left yesterday on a single touring bike, borrowed from nephew Scott. He called after 1/2 hour to tell me how easy it was to ride a single bike after the tandem. Yesterday they made it to Colfax and today just east of Colby, WI. They had tailwinds, but hot weather in the afternoon. They tried to camp in a city park. The sign said to call to ask permission. The woman they talked to said she had never heard of anyone camping there and wouldn't give permission. They found some locals and asked them for the phone number to call the sheriff to ask permission. One of them said they could camp in her backyard and use her shower. It turned out to be a much better place than the city park. (Another trail angel.) They have been riding on back roads which are great, but don't go through towns with services. They are looking forward to getting to Wausau tomorrow to resupply.
Tom from our group called from Stillwater and will stop by our house tomorrow. He wants to see the Mall of America. (As a local that's embarrassing--I'd rather take him to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area--maybe another time.)
Therese

Thursday 7/22/10 Have the chance to update today because we are in a motel in Mosinee WI. waiting out a rainstorm. We did 32 miles in a hard rain and strong east winds. Everyone was soaked and it looked like tomorrow would be favorable to do a big day so we can get close to the ferry on Saturday morning. Riding a single is so much fun after the tandem. I did have to buy a mirror for my sunglasses since I no longer have Therese watching my rear. The person who opened her home for us last night reaffirms that there are really nice people out there, which is what we've found this whole trip. I'll try and add more if I get the chance but Therese will update after I call her at night. on the road in Wisconsin. Doug

2 comments:

  1. I just got caught up on your postings (I hadn't read any since you were still in North Dakota). It was great seeing all of you on Sunday, and I regret not seeing all of the rigs before you left on Tuesday morning. If you are heading to Wausau, is it safe to assume you'll be going through the UP?

    Here's to tailwinds, water stops, and inexpensive dining:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess my dad and I are reading the same stuff! I've read through your postings just this evening as Joshua and I have completed a small section of our own E2E bike trip (only ours is of a much smaller country... Great Britain). I'm so glad that you arrived back at home safely, and I wish the best of luck to Doug as well - it can definitely get hairy out there!

    ReplyDelete